Hey gals and guys, I have just had the honor of being nominated for a . . . wait for it . . . Liebster Award! Heck yeah! And who’s the awesome blogger who nominated me? Writer X! Check out my wonderful nominator’s work (and amazing poetry) at http://thoughtsfromthespareroom.wordpress.com/.
Also, there are rules. Here they are:
1. Mention the person who nominated you (link & name).
2. Nominate 11 other bloggers with 200 or less followers.
3. Create 11 new questions for them to answer.
Having said that, here are my questions and answers:
1. What are your views on feminism and women’s place in society?
To me, our world sorely needs feminism, and this is because of the simple, sad fact that, for all of the ‘advancements’ our society has made, women and men are still not treated equally or fairly. I know that there are different variants and forms of feminism, but personally, I believe that it boils down to simply acknowledging the fact that women should not be treated as less than, simply because they are women, and that men are in no way, shape, or form, superior to women, and acting accordingly.
2. What is your favorite song?
That’s a tough question. Right now, it’s ‘Innocente’ by Delerium, but that will probably change in like an hour, so . . .
3. What is your favorite dessert?
Ambrosia. The best thing I have ever eaten.
4. What is your favorite fiction book?
My favorite fiction book is Frank Herbert’s Dune. It is the science-fiction novel, and the most layered, well-developed fiction book I have ever read.
5. What is your personal experience with mental health conditions such as self-harm or eating disorders?
I have been diagnosed with ADD since the eighth grade and mild Asperger’s when I was twenty, so there’s that.
6. Lana Del Rey or Florence and The Machine? Why?
Honestly, I don’t know if I’d ever compare those two artists. I like them both, but for very different reasons, and their music puts me in two completely different moods.
7. Why is your blog called that?
Honestly, I wanted it to have something to do with my name, because as an aspiring author you sort of want people to recognize your name and such. But also, I already had weird names for my Tumblr blog (manybothans), so I figured I’d better name this one something semi-normal.
8. How have you coped with discrimination in your life?
Being multicultural, for me discrimination has taken a different form than what people typically imagine it to be. Oddly enough, most of the discrimination I have experienced has come from African-Americans, and it’s usually because I don’t act ‘black’ enough, and people either forget or don’t realize that I’m not ‘black’ at all.
Also, whenever people find out I’m part Asian, I can expect to hear some snide remark about that (don’t laugh and drive, stay away from my cat, are you related to Tiger Woods, etc.). Not much of it is very original, quite frankly, so for the most part I can ignore it. It really helps to be comfortable with who you yourself are, and develop your own identity and be happy with that, because, as I’ve gradually come to appreciate, people will always try to categorize and simplify and assume, and if we care too much about any of that it will leave us in a place of self-loathing and uncertainty about ourselves.
9. What meaning do you derive from ‘Blurred Lines’?
Before this question I had never listened to the song, nor had I seen the full video (mainly because I don’t watch music videos). I’ve heard people say things about it being a pro-date rape song and things like that, but in order to fairly answer the question I listened to the song and watched the video, and looked up the lyrics.
Frankly, I can understand where the criticisms come from. But they are the same criticisms that can be applied to much of pop and hip-hop music (sexism, objectification of women, sexism, etc.). Did I enjoy the song? No. Did I enjoy the video? No. To me, it felt like all of the same tired clichés wrapped in a new form. I thought the part where Thicke blew smoke in the model’s face was particularly disturbing as well. Also, the rap segment was one of the worst I’ve ever heard.
10. Do you like photography, if so insert you favorite photo you have ever taken?
Haha, I’m terrible with photography. My Instagram is a montage of awful pictures.
11. Who is the most inspirational woman in your life?
My mother, who basically raised myself and my three siblings on her own.
Also, here’s the eleven questions for the bloggers who accept their award:
1. Who is your favorite Superhero, and why?
2. Who is your favorite musician/band, and why?
3. What made you create a wordpress?
4. What is your favorite book?
5. What do you like most about yourself?
6. Who is your favorite author?
7. Thoughts on feminism?
8. What is your earliest memory?
9. What do you like to do when you’re completely alone?
10. Which fictional character would you like to actually exist?
11. Who is the most important person in your life?